Saturday, February 5, 2011

No Delta connection for me...

Well, it took some time but I finally got a response from Delta. It seems there will be no Delta career in my near future.  But I can always apply again if I so desire.  Well, to be honest the odds were not in my favor, there were a thousand openings and over a hundred thousand applicants. And most of those thousand openings were for non-English speaking flight attendants.

I still have an application in for Air Tran, and that's for an Orlando-based flight attendant job, so we'll see about that one.  Since Air Tran has been bought out by Southwest, I'd be happy to have a job with them.

Oh, and I had an interview with a place called "One Earth Future."  It was interesting.  When I was offered the interview I searched all over their web site and couldn't figure out what they do so I asked Gary to search and he couldn't figure it out either.  Carolyn searched and all she could find out is that they fight pirates (yes, the swash-buckling kind), which kind of excited Erik a bit.  David couldn't find a  lot of info either.  So anyway, the first thing I did at the interview was ask them what the heck they did.  (Okay, I asked in a little more professional language than that.)  Turns out this place is a "Think tank."  Or, actually, to be more precise, a "Think and DO tank."  (An important distinction.  I feel safer already, don't you?)  Heh.  Anyway, this place has decent funding and is a bunch of PhD holding geniuses who are taking upon themselves the burden of solving many of the world's problems, thus bringing about a greater likelihood of world peace.

I think the interview went well enough.  I won't know for several weeks whether or not I passed muster.  In the meantime I mentioned the interview to Lilia and she said if I'd rather have a part time job she could offer me that (she'd offer me a full time job if I wanted one) for 20 hour a week, which I admit would be nice.  She'd be flexible with my travel, too.  The biggest issue I have with that is the pay, which would be $3 or $4 less per hour than I made at United.  If I were to accept that, I would then have to apply and accept for jobs which pay that in order to still qualify for my unemployment.  (Basically, by accepting something that low, I'm indicating it's acceptable not only for this one job, but for all future jobs.)  Not a way I want to go at this time, but maybe once my unemployment runs out if it's still available.

In Orlando town home news, we're still waiting on paperwork, so nothing new to report there.  I hope they haven't forgotten about us.

No comments: