Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New afghan and an unrelated stupid question...

I used to take pictures of all the afghans I made and email them to myself, where I would save them in a folder in my email.  Then along came some stupid hacker who decided that it wasn't enough to just LOOK at my folder, he or she ERASED all of my personal folders.  Now I don't have any, I figured that creating anything personal was an invitation to whomever it was to come back and look for something to make a quick buck.  I had one folder named "accounts" which I'm sure the hacker thought would get him or her all kinds of riches, but it was actually just links to my favorite soap opera and Disney blogs, with my log in names.  Big whoop, I hope they've enjoyed catching up on All My Children.

Anyway, one thing that I regret is having the folder erased that had the photos of all of my afghans in it.  (Thankfully all of the photos of my grandkids had already been transferred to my little slide show here, and all of the recipes had been moved to my cookbook blog.)   So I figured that when I finished an afghan meant as a gift, meaning that it isn't likely I'll ever see it again, I'll try to remember to post a picture of it here so that I can remember what it looked like.  Especially if it's something I kind of made up or made some pretty drastic adaptations to from the original pattern.  That way when I find something that works I won't forget all about it.

This afghan is one I finished today for a woman at work who just returned from maternity leave.  It's actually the third I've made for work ladies, but one of the others was identical to the ones I've made for Jack and Isaac, except it was pink and white (theirs were blue and white and peach and white, respectively) so not having a picture of it isn't a great loss.  Unfortunately, the other was very pretty and difficult enough that it's not likely I'll do it again, so it would have been nice if I'd taken a snapshot of it.  Oh well, live and learn.

This afghan is made by creating a mesh of double crochet/chain stitch, and then weaving a doubled-over length of contrasting yarn through the mesh when you're finished.  There were actually two versions that I found patterns for, in one the yarn was single crocheted through the net but I found it was puckering the afghan way too much.  the other was just weaving the yarn through "basket weave" style, but I found it was too loose and fragile, a baby would pull that out with no effort and destroy the afghan.  I ended up doing a stitch of my own creation, sort of "sewing" the contrasting threads into place.  I was pretty satisfied with the results.


Anyway, the original also had fringe, which I think would be just irritating to a baby, so I did a border with a little texture but no frou-frou (boy baby.)  It's not a huge afghan, only about a square yard, so that it can easily be used in a car seat or stroller without getting in the way.

And now for the unrelated stupid question.  While I am crocheting I usually wear my "cheaters."  (store-bought glasses, not prescription.  My eyes aren't bad enough to need a prescription, but for close work I need a little magnification.)  Why is it that these stupid things get dirty?  Do my eyeballs sweat, for pete's sake?  I mean, the smudges aren't finger-shaped.  But every now and again I think, "Man, I must be going blind, I can hardly see a thing."  Then I'll have a brainstorm and take off my cheaters, look at the light through them, and they're COMPLETELY covered with foggy greasiness.  Where does that come from?  Are my eyes steaming out oil?  I mean, HOLY COW!  The glasses get FILTHY!  How does this happen?  You folks who wear glasses all the time, you must have theories.  Where does the glop on glasses come from?  I swear, I always through that eyes were fairly clean and that disgusting things only came from noses.  But now I think maybe eyes have their own brand of boogers.

And that's all I have to say about that.

6 comments:

Shinobi said...

Nice new afghan, but you totally lost me when you were explaining how you made it :)

Berserk said...

No clue about the glasses...

Carolyn said...

I think part of it is moisture evaporating from your eyes. and there is an oily layer to your tears, so that might have something to do with it too. Plus your eyelashes hit your glasses so that can't help. I dunno, though. All of the kinds of stuff you get on your face that you wash off every night is the same stuff on your glasses. :)

Susie said...

That's okay, Shinobi, you start to lose me whenever you talk computers.

Carolyn, I hate to think of tears asngreasy for some reason.

just birdie said...

I have no comments about the glasses, but the afghan turned out beautiful! You neglected to mention that you began with no pattern! So great job!

Susie said...

Oh yeah, no pattern. :)