Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stupid decisions make for good stories...

Okay, so I was cleaning up the kitchen right before we were going to go to Costco today and I like to clean Aidan's sippy cup lids by hand because they don't get clean enough in the dishwasher. The spouts in particular get schmutz in them that can be kind of hard to get out.

After soaking the lids in some hot soapy water they usually clean up pretty easily with the dish brush, but one of the sippy cups must have been lying on its side with a trace of Aidan's favorite drink, chocky milk, in it. There was some particularly stubborn residue in the very tip of the drinking spout. I couldn't quite reach it with the dish brush so I broke out the bottle brush and couldn't get it with that either. I glanced up at the knife holder (magnetic) on the side of the cupboard and there was the perfect instrument to get out the last little bit of schmutz: a paring knife.

I took the paring knife and used the tip to scrape out the schmutz. I got it except for a tiny little speck of it right at the very corner of the spout so I decided to push harder with the knife to gouge out that stuck schmutz when WHOOSH! The blade of the knife (which I had no idea was that sharp) sliced RIGHT through the sippy cup lid and also through the tender flesh between my thumb and forefinger.

It's the kind of cut that opens every time you move your hand. Oh, and bleeds every time you move your hand, too. I hollered for Gary, twice, to come down to the kitchen and when he saw my hand he got sort of a cross between a "concerned for his wife" look and an "oh boy, now I can use my spiffy first aid kit" look as he trotted out to his car for his "3 by 3's." I thought to myself, "3 by 3's? I know what a 2 by 4 is, a hunk of wood. What is a 3 by 3?" Okay, I found out it is a piece of gauze. If he had said he wanted a piece of gauze I would have told him to get it from under the bathroom sink but then he wouldn't have had the joy of opening up his spiffy first aid kit.

Anyway, Michael took a look at it and tried applying some steri strips but due to the location of the cut he figured I would need a stitch or two because the cut kept opening up and doing that annoying bleeding thing, so off I went to the emergency room. But first I had to go upstairs and dry my hair because I had just washed it a short time ago and I was NOT going to the ER looking like white trash. Of course once I had blown it dry I needed to curl it. I managed to do my bangs but there again I found out that dang it, each time I used my hand it did that annoying bleeding thing again so I asked Carolyn to curl the rest of it so I didn't look like a witch doctor. I didn't take the time to put on makeup, though, Gary was having too much fun making fun of me for doing my hair before I left.

It took three hours for the poor overworked, understaffed ER folks to get me stitched up. I ended up with four stitches which have to stay in for 10-12 days (again, due to the location and how long it'll take to heal there.) Oh, and I was specifically told not to do dishes. To be honest, I was pretty peeved at the thought of not being able to keep my kitchen clean, and Bridget reminded me that she has the week off because of Spring break. She is such a sweetie.

Not exactly the way I wanted to spend my Saturday. And the very moment I felt that knife slice through my hand I realized cleaning the sippy cup lid with the paring knife was not one of my better ideas...

7 comments:

TheWizard said...

In my defense... I KNOW where my 3X3 guaze pads are in my first aid kit. Even when it's well organized, I have trouble finding ANYTHING in the cupboard under the bathroom sink.

And I think it was longer than 3 hours at the ER. I managed to read 206 pages of a novel while waiting... and we didn't get to Costco until 5:30... and they close at 6:00.

TheWizard said...

Oh... and if anyone wants to razz Susie about proper knife usage, feel free. If I say anything else, I'm likely to get into trouble. Though it was funny listening to her tell the ER nurse about what she did and the ER nurse telling her what she should have been doing to clean the sippy cup lid: soap & water & vinegar.

Carolyn said...

hehe... I'm glad the ER nurse had some input on how to clean dishes. And I would say longer than 3 hours, too... but then I didn't really count very closely. All i knew was that it cut our day short and that Dad probably was happy that our time at costco was cut short...

Berserk said...

WOW. I didn't know THAT was how you got cut...

As much as I'd like to talk trash, I've also used knives to clean things. Perhaps not quite so forcefully as you did, though, which has definitely made a difference.

Maybe you should err on the side of caution, go with soap & water & vinegar.

Susie said...

Et tu, Jason?

Scooter said...

I can't raz mom... my hand cutting experience was all to recent.

TheWizard said...

So... last night, I was a bit curious when mom asked me for a butter knife. I provided, but was curious as to what butter knives & freezers have in common. Turns out she needed some ice to cool off the hard boiled eggs. With the thaw / freeze action in the freezer, the ice was more of a block than cubes.

For the record: Butter knifes should not be used as chisels. Don't try this at home.