Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The weekend of July 20

It's been a long, tense weekend that I won't soon forget.  Along with the rest of the world I have watched the world change yet again, and not for the better.  But on the other hand I have seen acts of heroism that have shown what people are really made of.

I found out that my son was the officer who arrested the shooter.  I know the split-second timing of the events could have been different, and the outcome could have been so horrendous.  How will this affect him in both the weeks and months to come, and in the long term?  Will it devastate him?  Will he be able to overcome the horror?  I'm kind of scared for him.  I know he's strong, but who can deal with that kind of terror without losing some part of himself?  I'm worried about that.  I hope he knows himself well enough to know if and when he will need help.  I hope that help will be available for him.

But most of all, I am so proud of him that I can hardly breathe.  He was afraid, so scared (and rightly so) but he ran into the fires of hell not knowing if he would come out alive.  He ran in, not knowing if he would see friends and family again.  He ran in to fulfill his duty as a police officer, an oath he took as an officer of the city of Aurora.  He simply put his own life on the line in order to attempt to put an end to the act of terrorism that was going on in a place where people were supposed to be safe.  A place where children and families were supposed to be able to have a good time together.  A place where a lunatic had descended and opened fire.

Bless your heart, Jason.  Words will never be able to express my gratitude for your willingness to put yourself in the line of fire in order to make this world a better place for the rest of us. I love you so much, and I'm also grateful for the forces that kept you safe.


No comments: